Classic Bordeaux Named Wine Spectator’s #1 Wine of the Year
Top 10 Wines of 2019 Unveiled at WineSpectator.com
New York, N.Y.—Wine Spectator, the world’s leading authority on wine, today announced Château Léoville-Barton St.-Julien 2016 as the 2019 Wine of the Year. The Top 100 list is now available on top100.winespectator.com.
Following Château Léoville-Barton (97 points, $98, 11,667 cases made), Wine Spectator’s Top 10 Wines of 2019 are:
2. Mayacamas | Cabernet Sauvignon Mount Veeder 2015 | 96 Score | $125 | 2,250 Cases Made | Napa Valley, California
3. San Giusto a Rentennano | Chianti Classico 2016 | 95 Score | $36 | 7,500 Cases Made | Tuscany, Italy
4. Groth | Cabernet Sauvignon Oakville Reserve 2016 | 96 Score | $150 | 4,800 Cases Made | Napa Valley, California
5. Roederer Estate | Brut Anderson Valley L’Ermitage 2012 | 95 Score | $48 | 4,217 Cases Made | Mendocino County, California
6. Château de Beaucastel | Châteauneuf-du-Pape 2016 | 97 Score | $107 | 6,250 Cases Made | Rhône Valley, France
7. Ramey | Chardonnay Napa Valley Carneros Hyde Vineyard 2016 | 95 Score | $65 | 1,256 Cases Made | Carneros, California
8. Château Pichon Baron | Pauillac 2016 | 96 Score | $176 | 13,500 Cases Made | Bordeaux, France
9. Penfolds | Shiraz Barossa Valley RWT Bin 798 2017 | 96 Score | $150 | 1,156 Cases Imported | Barossa, Australia
10. Viña Almaviva | Puente Alto 2016 | 95 Score | $130 | 15,000 Cases Made | Maipo, Chile
This announcement was taken from Wine Business Monthly. Only two wines were under $50 and the rest all over $100. In addition it is unlikely any of them will be available since their production is so small and it’s unknown how many cases were shipped to the United States. As I Have mentioned in a previous blog, can you tell the difference?
In their effort to curtail elitism in their top 100, the Wine Spectator wisely avoided $1,000 bottle wines. However it would be a nice gesture to give us the top 100 wines under $50 or better yet, their top 100 Smart Buys. Wines we can afford.
Bob’s Top Wines of 2019
Domaine Greguen Bourgoyne
Bodegas Montecillo Rioja Crianza
Ferrari-Carano Fume Blanc
Col di Sasso
Josh Cabernet Sauvignon
Sterling Cabernet Sauvignon
All of these wines are well under $20.00, most around $10.00. Vintages are not noted because the house style will carry through vintages. All are consumed on a regular basis and no problems have been noted.